•  
  •  

e-Vision Journal of Undergraduate Writing

Year enrolled

2011

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.

Abstract

In 1994, Kevin Carter submitted a photograph he had taken during a trip to Sudan to cover the civil war that was ravaging the country. He had no idea at the time that he would eventually win the coveted Pulitzer Prize. He had even less of an idea that soon after receiving the award, he would succumb to depression. Although it brought about Carter’s untimely death, the photograph showed the world a tragedy occuring in Sudan. It shattered the complacency that existed among people generally walled off from such struggles. It was a disturbing call to action to help those in other parts of the world who truly needed it.

Catherine Witko is a rising sophomore Marketing major at JMU and a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha. Catherine has always had an immense interest in journalism and writing. She looks forward to using her interest in writing in the future, no matter where her career path takes her.

Catherine hopes readers can think deeply about problems outside the United States by learning about the tragedy that brought the photographer to take the photograph in this essay, and the tragedy that ensued from it: “I first saw the photograph that I wrote about in this paper during my junior year of high school. I was very sheltered in my teenage years, but just seeing the picture shocked me into the real world more than anything had ever before. Our elders, parents, and professors all have told us time and time again to learn about the past so that history won’t repeat itself.”

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.