•  
  •  

e-Vision Journal of Undergraduate Writing

Year enrolled

2001

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.

Abstract

The Nazis follow through with Hitler's plan to exterminate the Jews. Many of the soldiers who work at the death camps were not even members of the Nazi party originally. However, most follow orders obediently.

Anne Springfield: "I have never been a writer. In fifth grade my English teacher specifically told me so with a bright red pen. She continued to confirm this statement with a "D" on my book report essay. Fifth grade! Nobody got a "'D" in fifth grade! I was convinced for the next eight years that I would never write anything worth reading.

This essay was the final essay we wrote in our GWRIT 102D class, and I wanted to explore a different writing style. I had finally developed some confidence in my writing and ideas, and I wanted to take advantage of it.

The hardest part of the process was coming up with an idea in which I could relate history to a non-historical event. Once I had the idea, the first draft came out easily, but the conclusion really had me troubled. I brought what I had in for the peer workshop and received some helpful ideas that lent me some inspiration. I went back to my room and just free wrote for about an hour. By the time I was done, I had four different conclusions. I wanted something powerful to conclude the paper, something that made the reader just stop and think. From the four conclusions I had, I picked out the ideas I liked and organized them into a conclusion I was really proud of. I though the conclusion tied up the essay nicely by bringing all the aspects of the italics, personal stories and history together without compromising the power of the essay."

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.