2018 SCOM Undergraduate Research Conference

Project Type

Poster Presentation

Start Date

10-4-2018 9:30 AM

End Date

10-4-2018 10:45 AM

Description

This project uses the Narrative Paradigm presented by Walter Fisher in order to analyze Jon Stewart’s monologue after 9/11 and understand its effects on his audience. I look deeply at the surrounding context, especially the late night response to 9/11 and the expectations for Stewart’s return. Narrative Criticism allows us to better understand Stewart’s perspective on the events of 9/11. The story he presents is clear in its theme of hope. This method allows for a deep appreciation of how Stewart identifies with his audience, while separating his own voice from the crowd. I argue that he acts as a community leader for his audience as he presents a hopeful narrative that remains honest. His response remains free from controversy and I argue that this works in his favor in order to secure loyalty from his audience as he promises a return to political comedy in the future.

Included in

Communication Commons

Share

COinS

Apr 10th, 9:30 AM Apr 10th, 10:45 AM

"Are You Okay?" A Rhetorical Analysis of Jon Stewart's 9/11 Monologue and His Role as Leader