International Student Graduate Life at JMU

Presenter Information

Mohamed SerryFollow

Faculty Advisor Name

Michael Stoloff

Department

Department of Graduate Psychology

Description

As an international graduate student at JMU, who moved in to the US to right before starting his master studies, the experience is very unique to me, from getting to learn about the new culture that I am being part of, to enjoying different experiences, meeting new people from literally all around the world and many other reasons, this journey is a very exciting one, and a story worth to be told!

So as a GA at the graduate school office, I work as a Copywriter for Graduate Communications and Recruitment, me and my direct manager Cheryl Doss and my supervisor Dr. Michael Stoloff came up with this idea of me blogging about my experience here, in the form of social media short stories that we post regularly, talking about a different topic in each one, from my very first day in the US, to watching my first American Football game, to experiencing snow for the first time and many other stories that I wrote and were posted, planning to keep working on even more in the upcoming days.

We then came up with the idea of gathering all of these stories in a one Ebook or booklet, that will be shared with new students and even maybe prospect international students, to help them have more insights about the experience of traveling to the US and joining JMU from the inside.

The stories are about some of the experiences that I experienced for the first time here, my experience with the international community of JMU, my very first moments in the US and planning to write more about my GA experience, my domestic trips around Harrisonburg and many more ideas.

So after receiving emails about the showcase event, I thought this can be a great opportunity to show this booklet to JMU community for these reasons:

- Talking about how we as international students experience living here, and how we sometimes get very fascinated by things that might seem to be taken for granted sometimes.

- Help promote how the experience of joining JMU is actually a step that I am glad I took, and how living here can be so much fun!

- Presenting this project in the event will even help us understand more how this booklet of short stories can be impactful and helpful and get us more encouraged to share it with students joining JMU in the future.

These stories can actually be found on the graduate school account on Facebook and Twitter, with featured pictures that actually relate to each of the stories!

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS