•  
  •  

e-Vision Journal of Undergraduate Writing

Year enrolled

2011

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.

Abstract

Ah-ha: diet foods! We scan the packages looking for the golden words: “low-fat,” “low-calorie,” “sugar-free,” and within moments our cart is filled with 100-calorie packs and Lean Cuisines. We feel relieved, satisfied, and proud. Who said dieting was hard? Those ten pounds will be off in no time. I will feel thin and confident. I will feel healthy. I will be healthy, right?

Jennifer Fisher is a freshman Nursing major from Hampden, Massachusetts. She is involved in the Nursing Student Association and hopes, perhaps, to become a Nurse Anesthetist.

Jennifer was inspired to write "'Healthy' Chemicals"by her personal interest in nutrition and health: "I enjoy expressing my opinions and knowledge on these topics through writing in hopes of influencing others."A separate essay Jennifer wrote—a short research paper on corruption in our food industry—earned recognition in this year's Madison Writing Awards competition.

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.