Name of Engagement
tOol Time (September Fall School)
Fall School - tOolTime Fill your box with tools special for school! JMU-OTCES is hosting a 8-week, VIRTUAL group program starting this September! This program is specially designed to support children and youth by introducing "tools" that will help them build resilience and confidence as they balance their responsibilities as a student. Activities will be oriented around developing skills in the areas of flexible thinking, emotion regulation, adapting to changing routines and environments, and identifying positive self attributes. Our goal is that the skills developed in this program can be organically integrated into and complement each family’s home and school routines using the tool box as a resource. Program Information: Pre-K Dates: September 22 – November 12 Times: Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 9:45 AM Cost: $150 Location: Via Zoom (information will be provided) Elementary School Dates: September 22 – November 12 Times: Tuesday/Thursday 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM Cost: $150 Location: Via Zoom (information will be provided) Middle School Dates: September 21 – November 11 Times: Monday/Wednesday 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM Cost: $175 Location: Via Zoom (information will be provided) High School Dates: September 21 – November 11 Times: Monday/Wednesday 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM Cost: $175 Location: Via Zoom (information will be provided) Here is what happens during the Fall - School TOol Time program! Each virtual meeting will follow a similar structure including: welcome/greeting, reviewing the activity schedule, completing the selected main activities, and participating in a reflection about the activities and how the "tools" in the toolbox can be used in daily life. Throughout this 9-week program, additional supports, activities, and resources will be made available to participants including (1) an optional orientation offered the week prior to the start of the program, (2) specific activities that can be incorporated into the child’s family routines to reinforce concepts introduced during live meetings, (3) open "workshops" led by program leaders at designated afternoon times once a week, and (4) a specialized tool "kit" with supplies that can be used when completing program activities. Additionally, the program leader will provide information to the caregivers regarding materials that might be helpful to have on hand for the upcoming virtual meetings, an overview of each meeting, and an explanation and instructions for the activity(ies) to work on between meetings. If you are interested in registering for this program please visit our website https://otces.cisat.jmu.edu/group.html or email us email@example.com with any questions about this program.
- We are interested in this program, however there are some things that don’t work for our family.
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions or fill out this tOol Time - Informational/Feedback Survey so that we can develop future programs to meet the needs of our community.
- I am interested in joining this program, but I have several questions I would like to talk about before registering
- We love questions! Please fill out this tOol Time - Q&A Form with any questions you may have and join us via Zoom on September 10th for a live Q&A session. (email email@example.com for the link to Q&A).
- Will there be groups similar to this in the future?
- YES! We intend to host this program during each season of the year. Our tentative schedule for 2021 is as follows:
- Holiday - the weeks of 12/7-12/18 (~2 weeks)
- Winter - the weeks of 01/11-03/8 (8 weeks)
- Spring - the weeks of 03/22-05/03 (8 weeks)
- Summer Series (multiple programs that run 2-4 weeks at a time starting 05/17 and ending the week of 07/26)
- Check back in October for more information about the next program
- How do I sign up for this program?
- You can register for this program by visiting our website (https://otces.cisat.jmu.edu/group.html) and filling out the "registration form" and returning to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I know what age-group to register for?
- We recommend that you register for the age/grade that your child is currently enrolled in, however, we may combine different age groups depending on the number of registered participants.
- Do I need to be present during these meetings or can my child join without my presence?
- Our goal with this program is that participants would be able to engage in this program without external assistance, however your program leader will contact you prior to the meeting if parental assistance is needed or helpful.
- What do I do if I am unable to sign onto the meeting?
- Each meeting will be held through Zoom and further instructions will be provided after completing registration. If you are unable to log onto a meeting link, please contact your program leader.
Involves Faculty, Involves Participants External to JMU
September- November, 2020
Recurring Event (Occurs on a regular basis but not continual)
Type of Partner
Public schools PK-12
Primary Focus of Program
Education PK-12; Health and Healthcare
Areas of Engagement
Community Engagement, Engaged Learning