•  
  •  

e-Vision Journal of Undergraduate Writing

Year enrolled

2002

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.

Abstract

The Civil Rights Movement was the catalyst, the march that ignited the flame of justice in the twentieth century. It coerced America as a nation to reevaluate itself, to reevaluate what it stood for....

Linda Yeboah, a "soon-to-be- sophomore," writes that she was 11 years old when she came here to the United State from Ghana, West Africa: "Writing has never been one of my strongest aptitudes, but I have always loved to write. I have been writing 'for my own pleasure' ever since I can remember. Yet when it came to writing for school, I always found it dreadful. I usually do not put my best effort in it. Even today as a freshman at JMU, I still dread having to write essays or papers for class. Every paper that I wrote for my classes, I wrote to the point in which I thought would give me a good grade but nothing more but that.

When I began this paper, I had the same attitude, but I soon realized that the topic which I was writing about deserved much more attention. Although the topic was one that everyone knows about, I felt that it was still worth writing about. I wasn’t sure what to write at first, but after hours of internet and library research, I was able to come up with something. Remembering back to the many different styles of writing introduced to me in Ms. Storey’s GWRIT102 class, I chose the style I used because it helped bring the event to life on the paper. I wanted the readers to experience the fear, horror, and unthinkable acts that happened during that time. I wanted the readers to be active participants of the story.

I chose to write about this topic to show my appreciation to the many men and women who risked their lives and the lives of their family in order to pave clear paths for our generations to live together as one nation. Without their hard work I might not be at a place such as James Madison."

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.