Interpretation of Indirect Requests by Autistic Individuals

Presenter Information

Faith FrostFollow

Faculty Advisor Name

Emily Zane

Department

Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Description

Autism Spectrum Disorder is one of the fastest growing developmental disability categories in American public schools. As such, it is important that school stakeholders recognize the social communication and interaction preferences of students on the autism spectrum. This includes understanding how autistic children interpret non-literal language (e.g., irony, metaphors, indirect requests). In English, indirect requests are often used over direct requests due to their perceived politeness. The ability to interpret indirect requests is particularly important in school, where requests are often made. However, the research on how autistic children interpret indirect requests is limited. This project will test four types of indirect requests: embedded imperatives (e.g., “Can you get me a bottle of water?”), permission directives (e.g., “Could I get a bottle of water?”), desire statements (e.g., “I need to geta bottle of water.”), and hints (e.g., “I’m thirsty.”). A few studies have measured how autistic children interpret embedded imperatives and hints, but the results of the research that does exist are conflicting. Additionally, no studies have tested how autistic children understand permission directives and desire statements. Thus, my specific aims are (1) to determine if autistic children show more success with certain types of indirect requests, and (2) to determine how context influences autistic children’s interpretation of indirect requests. Accomplishing these specific aims will provide insight into how autistic individuals interpret indirect requests, and results can be used by stakeholders to better understand the communication styles of individuals on the spectrum.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS