•  
  •  

Abstract

Using the foundation of a child’s right of health and right to play, programs in sub-Saharan Africa are making unique and powerful contributions to combatting and educating youth regarding HIV/AIDS. Through critical analysis of the programs’ successes and failures, I draw conclusions on the reach of sport programs in mitigating the disease and thus combatting global poverty and draw inferences regarding the direction sport for health development programs should be taking to lessen HIV/AIDS infection rates. Subsequently, I identify two areas for growth for sport for development programs: greater outreach to young women and working in partnerships with other key constituents, specifically in the education, healthcare and political sectors (see Appendix A). Overall I conclude that although future research and expansion of programs is needed, sport for development programs are making valuable contributions to both furthering children’s unalienable rights of bodily health and play as well as combatting the spread of HIV/AIDS.

Share

COinS

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.