Honors Projects in JMU Scholarly Commons — Frequently Asked Questions

What is JMU Scholarly Commons? JMU Scholarly Commons is the online repository for scholarship by JMU faculty, students and staff.

Where do I go to upload my Honors project? To upload your Honors project, go to http://commons.lib.jmu.edu/honors201019. Once on that page, click on Click here to submit your Honors Project. You will need to create a login prior to submitting your project.

My project contains multiple parts/documents? How do I upload everything? The written paper should be uploaded as the main or primary document – this is done at the bottom of the submission form. To include additional files, check the box under “Additional Files”. Once you click “Submit” you will be taken to another screen where you can add those additional files.

I cannot tell if my content was uploaded. What do I do? Very large files, especially video files, take a long time to upload into JMU Scholarly Commons. If you clicked on the “Submit” button, look closely for a light grey progress indicator on the screen. You will know if your item was successfully uploaded when you are directed to the confirmation screen. If you continue to have difficulties, contact the Honors College for assistance.

I need to make a correction on my project or upload a new version. How do I do this? If your paper has not been locked by an administrator or accepted for publication, you can log in to JMU Scholarly Commons and edit your submission, including adding a new version. Follow the prompts to ensure it is submitted correctly. Once published, your project may only be edited by a JMU Scholarly Commons administrator. Contact the Honors College for assistance in making corrections.

What is an embargo? An embargo is a period of time where your project will not be available to the public. The information you submit in the Submission form will be public, but your document will not be available for download until the embargo has expired. The maximum embargo period is two years.

I want to publish my Honors project or portions of my Honors project in a journal or other publication. Can I do both? The submission agreement in JMU Scholarly Commons allows the author to retain copyright ownership of the work, meaning the author can publish in other venues. However, the publisher of the journal or other publication may have restrictions on what may be published. Consult with your faculty advisor, the Honors College, or the Copyright Advisor in the JMU Libraries for more information.

I noticed an error on my project and I am not able to edit the content through JMU Scholarly Commons. Can I have this corrected for me? Once published, your project may only be edited by a JMU Scholarly Commons administrator. Contact the Honors College for assistance in making corrections.